MOT if driving in Europe

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

MOT if driving in Europe

Post by Steve Payne »

I was speaking to a classic car owner at a car event who has recently taken it across to Europe on a rally, his car is MOT exempt. He was stopped in France and spent a couple of hours trying to explain to the local police that he was exempt and they seemed to think this exemption was only in the UK. He was eventually aloud to carry on but does anyone actually know if this exemption is aloud outside the UK?
With a few of us going over to Germany in a couple of months it might be worth checking.
Personally I think its worth having the MOT anyway but I do know of a couple of owners who dont bother.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
pcourtney

Re: MOT if driving in Europe

Post by pcourtney »

I think every EU country has different rules, but they respect each others rules ( sadly UK does not apply ) , so if you
drive from France to Germany, you will need to comply with both countries rules.

These are the french rules: If you own a vehicle classed as a véhicule de collection, and it was registered prior to 1960,
no test is required. A véhicule de collection at least 30 years old must have an MOT test every 5 years
NB A vehicule de collection is an Unmodified classic car.

I drive to Amsterdam ( have relations there ) , and I have to drive through France, and Belgium onto Holland ( in Holland the MOT or Road Worthiness Test there is only exempt for cars over 50 years old, which my MKIII now is)

Not sure about the rules for Germany, as never been there in a classic car :-)

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/o ... mweltzone/

The above German site is in German but google chrome offers to translate to English, they have similar rules to France !

Are foreign classic cars allowed to drive into environmental zones?
Yes, the exemption also applies to classic cars with foreign registration . These must meet similar requirements that apply to the allocation of the German H license plate or the red 07 registration number. The basic requirement here is:

a minimum vehicle age of 30 years and a good state of preservation (maybe a UK MOT is needed every 5 years as well )

The classic car status of a foreign vehicle is also evidenced by the internationally recognized classic car vehicle passport from the world classic car association FIVA (Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens )

https://fiva.org/en/commission/technica ... c51504c57b

This can be obtained from the respective FIVA clubs in the relevant countries. A copy of the national registration certificate showing the age of the vehicle and, if applicable, the FIVA passport should be clearly visible in the parked vehicle.
Peter Courtney
MKIII Summer 1972 build 128/4859
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Good question Steve and good reply.

On the basis that "A FIVA ID Card is only issued after a physical inspection of the vehicle...", would it not be easier to simply obtain an MoT certificate?
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Having an international motor insurance card with you is probably a good idea (along with your vehicle registration document, of course), although I always forget to organize mine and have never been checked and luckily have not been involved in an accident.

The local police do check foreign vehicles if they look unsafe, but those are usually commercial vehicles you see or read about (with worn tires, or overloaded, or with inadequate brakes), and they will take you off the road if your car doesn't meet the standards. France for example doesn't issue the environmental stickers for classic cars, although they are exempt- which is odd. Never been checked or fined w/o the sticker with the Jensen, but countries may have become stricter in the past few years.

PS check that all your lights are working, police will stop you and check your vehicle if they don't
PPS the country sticker is also mandatory, but I'm not sure if you actually get fined if you don't have one
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Unfortunately, having driven in France for many years following EC regulations, which France is part of the EU the French police and customs, when I have had dealings with both, always say, "France is only in the EU when they have problems" so to answer your question, it's always best to cover your back.
Get an MOT.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
DPP

Post by DPP »

A good question Steve, I get an MOT every year as its a very cheap safety check and even with full workshop facilities I cannot test the suspension under duress to the same degree the MOT station can with their shaker plates.

For anybody in the UK the journey to the International this year will be a fairly long drive so why not make sure your car is in good health.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
WIL

Post by WIL »

I agree Dave, best to have an MOT for all those reasons, and I would not drive without one, including in Europe.
Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
1970 E-type Jaguar S11 2+2
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
1975 Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 (resto project.. one day!)
Morris Highwayman 1962
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I agree on having an MOT. I am booked in for tomorrow. I think the handbrake will need adjusting as in my opinion it does not hold the car well enough when in drive with the handbrake up.
DPP

Post by DPP »

I adjust my handbrake just before the MOT every year and he usually remarks its not very good although still passes but thats the best it is all year.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
pcourtney

Post by pcourtney »

I am removing my rear brake calipers on my MKIII, and sending them to Tony at Bigg Red for a complete refurbishment,
he also does the handbrake part attached to the calipers at the same time, so hopefully my handbrake will work a lot
better after this, new rear vented discs on order from Martin Robey as well, just need to make sure the right hand side
chassis tube is air tight, as this acts as a vacuum reservoir for the brakes, so needs to be air tight to maintain vacuum.

https://www.biggred.co.uk/contact

https://www.martinrobey.com/jensen/inte ... rear/15930

If I don't do the above it will surely fail the MOT :-)
Peter Courtney
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

New handbrake pads can make a difference.
When you remove the rear disc's its a good idea to replace the wheel studs especially if you have used them to remove the rear discs.

Steve
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

The handbrake tension needed to be adjusted on both sides - massive difference after I did them this morning. Passed MOT.
Attachments
F9D56492-F5B1-42EF-B834-21034CE20B81.jpeg
F9D56492-F5B1-42EF-B834-21034CE20B81.jpeg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 162 times
0FD54E28-A237-448E-BCF0-551131E1F2EE.jpeg
0FD54E28-A237-448E-BCF0-551131E1F2EE.jpeg (386.31 KiB) Viewed 162 times
WIL

Post by WIL »

Congratulations on the pass Karan, and yes I agree best to replace the wheel studs,
Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
1970 E-type Jaguar S11 2+2
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
1975 Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 (resto project.. one day!)
Morris Highwayman 1962
pcourtney

Post by pcourtney »

can someone confirm for me, the wheel studs are 7/16 UNF and about 2 and 3/4" long ???
Peter Courtney
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Buy them from a recognised Jensen supplier and you will get the correct ones.

Steve

Return to “General Discussion”