NEC CLASSIC CAR SHOW 11-13 NOVEMBER 2022

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
rmangroo

NEC CLASSIC CAR SHOW 11-13 NOVEMBER 2022

Post by rmangroo »

Join us once again at the UK’s biggest and best Classic Motor Show Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show, with discovery+

Friday 11 - Sunday 13 November 2022
NEC Birmingham

Save by booking tickets in advance at https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com

In honour of the double anniversary this year (C-V8 60th and Jensen Healey 50th) we hope to have some spectacular cars on display. We also hope to see as many of you there as possible. Don't miss out on your member's discount ticket, so head to our forum under the members-only area to get your code.

Club members save £4 off single-day adult tickets or £2 off other ticket types by quoting the club code. Book tickets by 20 October to ensure you get your discount ticket however the code will be available until 10 November.

THE CLUB DISCOUNT CODE IS: ******

For more details Contact Shaun Winfield at chairman@joc.org.uk or oxon@joc.org.uk
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
Keith

Re: NEC CLASSIC CAR SHOW 11-13 NOVEMBER 2022

Post by Keith »

rmangroo wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:44 pm
For more details Contact Shaun Winfield at chariman@joc.org.uk
Is Shaun still the Chairman? Or has he been given the honorary title of "chariman"?

Whatever, it should be a great show!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
shaun

Post by shaun »

For the avoidance of doubt, i am currently still the JOC Chairman.

I will be stepping aside at the re-arranged AGM (details very soon) but I will be arranging the NEC for this year.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Shaun / Raj

As this is Anniversary year for the CV8 and Healey will the cars on display be primarily these models, or are you looking for any members to put forward their car for consideration?

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
shaun

Post by shaun »

It is intended that C-V8's and J-H's will be the principal vehicles on display.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I've edited Raj's original post to correct the email address and remove the BB code that caused it to try and open as a web site.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Shaun / Raj

I would appreciate - as perhaps would other members - seek to clarify how you put your car forward for consideration to be shown at any one of the Events that we attend as a club - or is this, as appears to be the case - only open to a select few cars belonging to the Committee or Friends
I unfortunately speak from past experience where i have put forward my car for consideration to three events in the past five years and effectively been ignored

I, as are many other members, keen promotors of both their own cars and the Jensen marque and i wonder if some fresh and enthusiastic new members to these stands may not be a good thing

I applaud the Members that stand on the Committee and spend a great deal of time in organising and promoting the Club and Marque
However i hope that this is not at the expensive of the majority of Members
The Club would not exist without a strong Committee but the Committee would not existing without the Marque and the cars - and these are the most important

I accept that it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
Not a Committee Member - but perhaps one day
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

That would be a good idea, to let light in on the process.

It has to be accepted though, that good intentions sometimes don't survive the pressure of "events" and the organisers must be allowed a little leeway to deal with emergencies.
Editor
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Series3Jensen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:53 pm only open to a select few cars belonging to the Committee or Friends
I wish to correct this assertion, it much maligns Shaun who in the last few years has put in a lot of work coming up with a theme for the show and putting the show together.

In the last 4 years there has been only 1 committee member whose cars on the stand and both times were for significant reasons.
I would remind Jim of the following:
2021 -
541 which was the members choice at the International. No friends or committee member here
FF concours winner at the International. No friends or committee member here
HEA 1D - very late replacement because the original person dropped out.
Joerg - PW. Joerg is a committee member. this was the first time the PW had been shown anywhere in half a century.

541 - Paris air race car - to celebrate the anniversary of the race
GT - 2nd in concours at the International, the winner couldn't make it but not a committee member or specially selected because of "friend".
FF - Paul Strange's FF

2018 - featured 2 cars that actually were at the 1938 Motor Show, 80th anniversary of the first time Jensen displayed at a Motor Show.
White Lady - the only time it would be shown in public for over 60 years before it went into restoration
SP - concours winning SP
S - Type from David Davies
H1 - under restoration

C-V8 - Ian Northeast "Fastest Jensen"
Mk2 FF - not a committee member's car
Mk2 Healey - concours winner
S - V8 - not a committee member's car

2022 Restoration show - theme Healey & C-V8.
Jensen-Healey x 2. One of which was replaced by my GT when the owner was not available.
C-V8 which was replaced at 3 days notice by an Interceptor.

I would challenge Jim to find a closed shop "open to only a few select cars" or friends or committee members among this list. The only person to be featured more than once is Joerg but with very different historic cars. If you actually go back further you will find more of the same - i.e. NOT committee or "friends" cars.
The facts do not back up the assertion.

The theme this year is the Healey 50th and the C-V8 60th. An Interceptor is neither of those. Finally, there is only ever room for 3 or 4 cars on the stand. The show is not put together by committee, it's done by 1 person putting in a lot of effort behind the scenes before we ever get there. There are plenty of other events up and down the country where the JOC could do a formal presence, perhaps Jim would like to take on one of those?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Dear All

Chris Reed appears to have taken offence to a very simple question

If we look back over a number of years there are occasions when the same cars have been displayed and if there is any question of this, just look at the photographs from earlier magazines
I have not disputed the Theme for this years NEC and i welcome Jensen Healeys and CV8's onto the stand

I can only say that i have asked 3 times for my car to be considered on a JOC Stand and with the 1000's of cars there are, i will be lucky to achieve this, but it is not unreasonable to expect the courtesy of a reply, when probably very few members put their car forward

The suggestion that i take my car to a show that the JOC is not in attendance only reinforces my point and i would welcome a more pro-active response from the new Chairman

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
shaun

Post by shaun »

Jim,

I apologise if i failed to reply to yourself regarding your requests.

For the avoidance of doubt, the organisation of the NEC stand is not a Chairman role. I merely was in the right place at probably the wrong time to put my head above the parapet and take on the organising for this event.

Cars that have appeared on the stand during my period are all ones who's owners have contributed in many ways in many places in many countries to promoting the marque. An invitation to attend at the NEC is a recognition for this.

I am not going to go any further Jim, but I do remind you that you turned down the chance to be Interceptor Registrar.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Shaun

You certainly do not need to apologise to me
I recognise all the hard work that you have put in over the last 5 years (or more)

I was only trying to understand if there was a process that allowed individual owners to put forward their cars for showing
In part you appeared to have answered this by saying owners that have helped the club through the year are recognised in being given the option to display
Whilst this is probably only one criteria, i can accept this reasoning

It is unfortunate that owners that do not become so involved initially may not then have the opportunity to showcase their cars

I accept that i turned down the Interceptor Registrar role - for a number of reasons at that time

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Series3Jensen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:07 pm Dear All

If we look back over a number of years there are occasions when the same cars have been displayed and if there is any question of this, just look at the photographs from earlier magazines
I didn't take offence but the assertion and your follow up assertion is wrong. The assertions are factually incorrect and I put the record straight. I listed the last 5 years shows and none of the cars were repeats. 2016 was the Interceptor and FF 50th and I don't think any from that year have been used again, same applies for 2015. How many years back do we go to find the occasions when the same cars have been displayed? If you make such assertions you should back them up.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Keith

Post by Keith »

Chris_R wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:53 pm
Series3Jensen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:07 pm Dear All

I didn't take offence but the assertion and your follow up assertion is wrong. The assertions are factually incorrect and I put the record straight. I listed the last 5 years shows and none of the cars were repeats. 2016 was the Interceptor and FF 50th and I don't think any from that year have been used again, same applies for 2015. How many years back do we go to find the occasions when the same cars have been displayed? If you make such assertions you should back them up.
Chris, you are making the fundamental mistake (that has happened so many times in this club), that the person asking the (quite important) question should be shot down in flames.

How about addressing the original question?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

There is no formal process for selecting cars. There are only a couple of events that are sponsored by the club, The Classic Car Show at the NEC in November and in the last six or seven years the Concours of Elegance that the JOC (among other clubs) supports. This year also the Restoration Show in March for the first time since it moved to the NEC.
Someone will volunteer to make the arrangements and then find cars to display or come along.
Chris
JOC Member 6116

Return to “General Discussion”